How to Determine Your Skin Type
If you want to choose skincare products that provide you with good results, you’ll first need to identify what your skin type is. This well also help you develop a care routine that truly meets your needs. Here’s everything you need to know about skin types including how to pinpoint your own.
Different skin types
There are five basic skin types:
- Normal. This skin isn’t overly dry or oily, has balanced sebum production and good blood circulation.
- Oily. A result of excess sebum production, this skin can look greasy and is prone to acne.
- Dry. Often flaky or rough, dry skin is a result of low sebum production and can feel tight or irritated.
- Combination. As the name implies, combination skin is a mixture of dry and oily skin types. Most commonly, the forehead and nose are oily while the cheeks and chin are dry.
- Sensitive. This skin type often reacts adversely to new products, the sun and even spicy foods. People with allergies, eczema and asthma often have this skin type.
How to identify your skin type
The wash test is the best way to pinpoint your skin type. Wash your face thoroughly with a mild cleanser. Without applying any moisturizers or other products, wait 30 minutes to an hour. After the time has passed, inspect your skin, taking into consideration how it feels.
- Skin that looks shiny all over, has visible pores and doesn’t feel any different when you move your face is probably oily.
- If your skin feels tight, especially when you smile or otherwise move your face, your skin type is most likely dry.
- A shiny nose and forehead but tight, dull cheeks indicate combination skin.
- If your skin looks great with no shine or tightness, you’re one of the lucky few with normal skin.
Visit a medical spa to learn more
If you need so help identifying your skin type or would like advice on how to care for your skin, make an appointment with a cosmetology student or professional at a Canadian Beauty College medical spa.
You can also experience the benefits of a professional touch and the right products with a specialized facial based on your skin type. Afterwards, a makeup artist can help you look your best
We also offer treatments such as Botox and massage therapy. Call us today to learn more about our services schedule an appointment at one of our GTA campuses.